Checking Out and Discharge
In preparation for discharge, the staff will work with you to prepare for your return home.
Before You Go Home
- Make sure you understand all your discharge instructions and ask questions about anything you don’t understand.
- Make sure you get explanations about how you should expect to feel and what you should expect to be able to do.
- Review all prescriptions with your caregiver and make sure you can read the prescription, understand how and when it should be taken, for how long and any possible side effects.
- Make sure that you are given a phone number to call in case you have any questions or concerns about your discharge instructions or any unusual symptoms.
- Review arrangements for follow-up appointments and find out if they have already been made or if you must call the physician to make an appointment.
- Review all home health arrangements. Ask if the home health arrangements have been made, or if you need to call anyone. Make sure you understand these arrangements, especially the date and time to expect the first visit/delivery. Make sure you have a phone number and contact person in case you need to contact the home health agency.
- Please call us if you have any other questions or concerns.
After You Go Home
South Texas Health System Edinburg is partnered with NRC Illuminate, a follow-up care program to ensure a safe transition home from us after you leave our hospital.
You will receive a call within 72 hours asking about your stay. This brief call will check on items related to medications, appointments, and other post-stay needs. Your participation is an important part of your stay with us.